Chronicus recidiváló vulvovaginalis candidosis kezelése per os fluconazollal és prophylaxisa lokális bórsavval

Translated title of the contribution: Treatment of chronic recurrent vulvovaginal candidiasis by oral fluconazole and prohylactic local boric acid

Ujházy Andras, I. Sziller, Z. Papp

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

Abstract

The treatment of recurrent vulvovaginal candidiasis includes an initial regimen of oral antimycotic drug to ensure clinical remission continued with maintenance therapy to prevent recurrent infection. This maintenance therapy should last at least 6 month. At the I. Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology of Semmelweis University we performed follow up of 24 nonpregnant patients with recurrent vulvovaginal candidiasis who had four or more previous episodes of proved infection during a 12-month period. After treating the acute fungal vaginitis with 1 x 150 mg (rarely 2 x 150 mg) oral fluconazole we started the maintenance therapy with topical boric acid. The efficacy of this topical maintenance therapy was measured with the occurrence of symptomatic recurrences during the period of prophylaxis and 6 months after. We also studied the side effects of oral fluconazole and topical boric acid treatment. 3 patients of the 24 (12,5%) were excluded from the study because interruption of the maintenance therapy. During the period of the maintenance therapy recurrent infection was not occurred among 18 patients of the remaining 21 (86%), although 3 patients (14%) experienced symptomatic fungal vaginitis. 7 patients fulfilled the 6 months after completing the period of topical boric acid prophylaxis. During this 6 months 2 patients of this 7 (29%) had acute episode, the remaining 5 (71%) did not experienced symptomatic infection. Side effects were not mentioned during the study. Topical boric acid seems to be an effective maintenance therapy in the prevention of relapses of recurrent vulvovaginal candidiasis.

Original languageHungarian
Pages (from-to)437-441
Number of pages5
JournalMagyar Noorvosok Lapja
Volume65
Issue number6
Publication statusPublished - 2002

Fingerprint

Vulvovaginal Candidiasis
Fluconazole
Vaginitis
Therapeutics
Infection
boric acid
Hospital Obstetrics and Gynecology Department
Secondary Prevention
Gynecology

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Obstetrics and Gynaecology

Cite this

Chronicus recidiváló vulvovaginalis candidosis kezelése per os fluconazollal és prophylaxisa lokális bórsavval. / Andras, Ujházy; Sziller, I.; Papp, Z.

In: Magyar Noorvosok Lapja, Vol. 65, No. 6, 2002, p. 437-441.

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

@article{c4f0537568b44a58bf77299f471c577d,
title = "Chronicus recidiv{\'a}l{\'o} vulvovaginalis candidosis kezel{\'e}se per os fluconazollal {\'e}s prophylaxisa lok{\'a}lis b{\'o}rsavval",
abstract = "The treatment of recurrent vulvovaginal candidiasis includes an initial regimen of oral antimycotic drug to ensure clinical remission continued with maintenance therapy to prevent recurrent infection. This maintenance therapy should last at least 6 month. At the I. Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology of Semmelweis University we performed follow up of 24 nonpregnant patients with recurrent vulvovaginal candidiasis who had four or more previous episodes of proved infection during a 12-month period. After treating the acute fungal vaginitis with 1 x 150 mg (rarely 2 x 150 mg) oral fluconazole we started the maintenance therapy with topical boric acid. The efficacy of this topical maintenance therapy was measured with the occurrence of symptomatic recurrences during the period of prophylaxis and 6 months after. We also studied the side effects of oral fluconazole and topical boric acid treatment. 3 patients of the 24 (12,5{\%}) were excluded from the study because interruption of the maintenance therapy. During the period of the maintenance therapy recurrent infection was not occurred among 18 patients of the remaining 21 (86{\%}), although 3 patients (14{\%}) experienced symptomatic fungal vaginitis. 7 patients fulfilled the 6 months after completing the period of topical boric acid prophylaxis. During this 6 months 2 patients of this 7 (29{\%}) had acute episode, the remaining 5 (71{\%}) did not experienced symptomatic infection. Side effects were not mentioned during the study. Topical boric acid seems to be an effective maintenance therapy in the prevention of relapses of recurrent vulvovaginal candidiasis.",
keywords = "Boric acid, Maintenance therapy, Prevention, Recurrent vulvovaginal candidiasis",
author = "Ujh{\'a}zy Andras and I. Sziller and Z. Papp",
year = "2002",
language = "Hungarian",
volume = "65",
pages = "437--441",
journal = "Magyar Noorvosok Lapja",
issn = "0025-021X",
publisher = "Magyar Noovos Tarsasag",
number = "6",

}

TY - JOUR

T1 - Chronicus recidiváló vulvovaginalis candidosis kezelése per os fluconazollal és prophylaxisa lokális bórsavval

AU - Andras, Ujházy

AU - Sziller, I.

AU - Papp, Z.

PY - 2002

Y1 - 2002

N2 - The treatment of recurrent vulvovaginal candidiasis includes an initial regimen of oral antimycotic drug to ensure clinical remission continued with maintenance therapy to prevent recurrent infection. This maintenance therapy should last at least 6 month. At the I. Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology of Semmelweis University we performed follow up of 24 nonpregnant patients with recurrent vulvovaginal candidiasis who had four or more previous episodes of proved infection during a 12-month period. After treating the acute fungal vaginitis with 1 x 150 mg (rarely 2 x 150 mg) oral fluconazole we started the maintenance therapy with topical boric acid. The efficacy of this topical maintenance therapy was measured with the occurrence of symptomatic recurrences during the period of prophylaxis and 6 months after. We also studied the side effects of oral fluconazole and topical boric acid treatment. 3 patients of the 24 (12,5%) were excluded from the study because interruption of the maintenance therapy. During the period of the maintenance therapy recurrent infection was not occurred among 18 patients of the remaining 21 (86%), although 3 patients (14%) experienced symptomatic fungal vaginitis. 7 patients fulfilled the 6 months after completing the period of topical boric acid prophylaxis. During this 6 months 2 patients of this 7 (29%) had acute episode, the remaining 5 (71%) did not experienced symptomatic infection. Side effects were not mentioned during the study. Topical boric acid seems to be an effective maintenance therapy in the prevention of relapses of recurrent vulvovaginal candidiasis.

AB - The treatment of recurrent vulvovaginal candidiasis includes an initial regimen of oral antimycotic drug to ensure clinical remission continued with maintenance therapy to prevent recurrent infection. This maintenance therapy should last at least 6 month. At the I. Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology of Semmelweis University we performed follow up of 24 nonpregnant patients with recurrent vulvovaginal candidiasis who had four or more previous episodes of proved infection during a 12-month period. After treating the acute fungal vaginitis with 1 x 150 mg (rarely 2 x 150 mg) oral fluconazole we started the maintenance therapy with topical boric acid. The efficacy of this topical maintenance therapy was measured with the occurrence of symptomatic recurrences during the period of prophylaxis and 6 months after. We also studied the side effects of oral fluconazole and topical boric acid treatment. 3 patients of the 24 (12,5%) were excluded from the study because interruption of the maintenance therapy. During the period of the maintenance therapy recurrent infection was not occurred among 18 patients of the remaining 21 (86%), although 3 patients (14%) experienced symptomatic fungal vaginitis. 7 patients fulfilled the 6 months after completing the period of topical boric acid prophylaxis. During this 6 months 2 patients of this 7 (29%) had acute episode, the remaining 5 (71%) did not experienced symptomatic infection. Side effects were not mentioned during the study. Topical boric acid seems to be an effective maintenance therapy in the prevention of relapses of recurrent vulvovaginal candidiasis.

KW - Boric acid

KW - Maintenance therapy

KW - Prevention

KW - Recurrent vulvovaginal candidiasis

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/record.url?scp=0036449151&partnerID=8YFLogxK

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/citedby.url?scp=0036449151&partnerID=8YFLogxK

M3 - Article

VL - 65

SP - 437

EP - 441

JO - Magyar Noorvosok Lapja

JF - Magyar Noorvosok Lapja

SN - 0025-021X

IS - 6

ER -