The history of Lipótmezö, the site of the first convulsive therapy

Gábor Gazdag, Brigitta Baran, Miklós Kárpáti, Zoltán Nagy

Research output: Contribution to journalReview article

9 Citations (Scopus)

Abstract

The National Institute of Psychiatry and Neurology, better known as "Lipót," where convulsive therapy was first performed by László Meduna in 1934, is an important site in the history of biological psychiatry. In the first half of the article, the circumstances regarding the foundation of the Institute and its first 60 years are reviewed. Meduna's achievements, the theoretical foundation of convulsive therapy, and its realization as an effective therapy are described. Finally, the latest 70 years of the Institute will be briefly reviewed, with special emphasis on the events of the last few months of 2007 in which the institution has been closed.

Original languageEnglish
Pages (from-to)221-223
Number of pages3
JournalJournal of ECT
Volume23
Issue number4
DOIs
Publication statusPublished - Dec 1 2007

    Fingerprint

Keywords

  • Convulsive therapy
  • History of psychiatry
  • Lipótmezö
  • László Meduna

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Neuroscience (miscellaneous)
  • Psychiatry and Mental health

Cite this