Multiple Myeloma of the Young – a Single Center Experience Highlights Future Directions

Ildikó Pál, Árpád Illés, László Váróczy

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

Abstract

Multiple myeloma is quite uncommon in the young population. We performed a retrospective review in our database from 2006 to 2015 to examine the clinical features, outcomes and survival of multiple myeloma patients ≤40 years old. Among 312 newly diagnosed patients we found sixteen (5.1%) who were 40 years old or younger. Their characteristics including M-protein type, genetical alterations, clinical symptoms and disease stage were as various as those in the older population. All but two young patients underwent autologous stem cell transplantation after the induction treatment. Their response to treatment did not differ markedly from the older patients. We also compared the survival data of patiens ≤40 years and > 40 years old. The 5-year progression-free survival were 48% and 35%, the 5-year overall survival were 83% and 53% respectively, the latter showing a significant advantage for the younger population. 70% of the young patients received maintenance or consolidation therapy after the initial treatment. Although several effective new therapies have been introduced recently, there is still an unmet need for curative treatment options for young and fit multiple myeloma patients.

Original languageEnglish
Pages (from-to)419-424
Number of pages6
JournalPathology and Oncology Research
Volume26
Issue number1
DOIs
Publication statusPublished - Jan 1 2020

Keywords

  • 40 years
  • Multiple myeloma
  • Overall survival
  • Progression-free survival
  • Young

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Pathology and Forensic Medicine
  • Oncology
  • Cancer Research

Fingerprint Dive into the research topics of 'Multiple Myeloma of the Young – a Single Center Experience Highlights Future Directions'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

  • Cite this