Ivermectin toxicosis in a chameleon (Chamaeleo senegalensis) infected with Foleyella furcata

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

21 Citations (Scopus)

Abstract

Both male and female Foleyella furcata were found in the subcutaneous tissue and abdominal cavity of an adult male wild-caught Senegalese chameleon (Chamaeleo senegalensis) This nematode species is endemic to Madagascar but has never been recorded from the continent of Africa. Prior to the chameleon's death, a migrating worm was seen under the skin in the abdominal and thoracic region. Huge numbers of small, sheathed microfilariae were detected in the blood smears. The chameleon was treated with a single dose (0.2 mg/kg s.c.) of ivermectin. Serious adverse reactions (complete inertia) developed within 24 hr after injection and lasted for 7 days, indicating either ivermectin toxicity or a systemic reaction involving the release of endotoxins from the microfilariae dying in the bloodstream as a result of parasiticide therapy. Therefore, ivermectin treatment of chameleons infected with Foleyella should be avoided.

Original languageEnglish
Pages (from-to)115-117
Number of pages3
JournalJournal of Zoo and Wildlife Medicine
Volume32
Issue number1
DOIs
Publication statusPublished - Jan 1 2001

Keywords

  • Chamaeleo senegalensis
  • Foleyella furcata
  • Ivermectin
  • Reptiles
  • Senegalese chameleon

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Animal Science and Zoology
  • veterinary(all)

Fingerprint Dive into the research topics of 'Ivermectin toxicosis in a chameleon (Chamaeleo senegalensis) infected with Foleyella furcata'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

  • Cite this