Improved cryopreservation of sperm of paddlefish (Polyodon spathula)

A. Horváth, B. Urbányi, Steven D. Mims, William B. Bean, Boris Gomelsky, Terrence R. Tiersch

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

13 Citations (Scopus)

Abstract

Experiments were performed to improve protocols for sperm cryopreservation of paddlefish (Polyodon spathula), a species for which there has been limited study. The first experiment was conducted to investigate the effects of two extenders (modified Tsvetkova's extender: mT and modified Hanks'balanced salt solution: mHBSS) in combination with methanol (MeOH) and dimethyl sulfoxide in two concentrations (5 and 10%) on the postthaw motility and fertilization rates of cryopreserved sperm. The highest postthaw motility (85 ± 5%) was observed when sperm were frozen using mT extender with 10% MeOH as cryoprotectant. Extenders (P = 0.0018) and cryoprotectants (P = 0.0040) each had a significant effect on the postthaw motility of paddlefish sperm. The highest fertilization (80 ± 3%) was found when eggs were fertilized with sperm frozen with mT extender in combination with 10% MeOH. However, there was no significant difference among fertilization rates when MeOH was used as a cryoprotectant in either concentration or in combination with either mT or mHBSS extenders. In the second experiment, 4000 eggs were fertilized with the pooled contents of five straws of thawed sperm (total volume of 1.25 mL) using mT extender in combination with 5% MeOH, and hatch rates as high as 79 ± 5% were observed. A third experiment was also conducted to clarify the role of MeOH concentration; however, no significant difference was found among fertilization and hatch rates when either 5 or 10% MeOH was used as a cryoprotectant. These results suggest that MeOH is a safe and reliable cryoprotectant for freezing of paddlefish sperm and obtaining viable postthaw sperm for consistent fertilization and hatch rates. Further, this experimental protocol is relatively simple and applicable for commercial hatchery production of paddlefish.

Original languageEnglish
Pages (from-to)356-362
Number of pages7
JournalJournal of the World Aquaculture Society
Volume37
Issue number4
DOIs
Publication statusPublished - Dec 2006

Fingerprint

Polyodon spathula
Polyodontidae
cryopreservation
sperm
spermatozoa
cryoprotectants
motility
experiment
egg
dimethyl sulfoxide
hatchery
straw
hatcheries
freezing
methanol
rate
salt
salts

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Aquatic Science

Cite this

Improved cryopreservation of sperm of paddlefish (Polyodon spathula). / Horváth, A.; Urbányi, B.; Mims, Steven D.; Bean, William B.; Gomelsky, Boris; Tiersch, Terrence R.

In: Journal of the World Aquaculture Society, Vol. 37, No. 4, 12.2006, p. 356-362.

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

Horváth, A. ; Urbányi, B. ; Mims, Steven D. ; Bean, William B. ; Gomelsky, Boris ; Tiersch, Terrence R. / Improved cryopreservation of sperm of paddlefish (Polyodon spathula). In: Journal of the World Aquaculture Society. 2006 ; Vol. 37, No. 4. pp. 356-362.
@article{9043fc4411d140d6af465003ef9e9068,
title = "Improved cryopreservation of sperm of paddlefish (Polyodon spathula)",
abstract = "Experiments were performed to improve protocols for sperm cryopreservation of paddlefish (Polyodon spathula), a species for which there has been limited study. The first experiment was conducted to investigate the effects of two extenders (modified Tsvetkova's extender: mT and modified Hanks'balanced salt solution: mHBSS) in combination with methanol (MeOH) and dimethyl sulfoxide in two concentrations (5 and 10{\%}) on the postthaw motility and fertilization rates of cryopreserved sperm. The highest postthaw motility (85 ± 5{\%}) was observed when sperm were frozen using mT extender with 10{\%} MeOH as cryoprotectant. Extenders (P = 0.0018) and cryoprotectants (P = 0.0040) each had a significant effect on the postthaw motility of paddlefish sperm. The highest fertilization (80 ± 3{\%}) was found when eggs were fertilized with sperm frozen with mT extender in combination with 10{\%} MeOH. However, there was no significant difference among fertilization rates when MeOH was used as a cryoprotectant in either concentration or in combination with either mT or mHBSS extenders. In the second experiment, 4000 eggs were fertilized with the pooled contents of five straws of thawed sperm (total volume of 1.25 mL) using mT extender in combination with 5{\%} MeOH, and hatch rates as high as 79 ± 5{\%} were observed. A third experiment was also conducted to clarify the role of MeOH concentration; however, no significant difference was found among fertilization and hatch rates when either 5 or 10{\%} MeOH was used as a cryoprotectant. These results suggest that MeOH is a safe and reliable cryoprotectant for freezing of paddlefish sperm and obtaining viable postthaw sperm for consistent fertilization and hatch rates. Further, this experimental protocol is relatively simple and applicable for commercial hatchery production of paddlefish.",
author = "A. Horv{\'a}th and B. Urb{\'a}nyi and Mims, {Steven D.} and Bean, {William B.} and Boris Gomelsky and Tiersch, {Terrence R.}",
year = "2006",
month = "12",
doi = "10.1111/j.1749-7345.2006.00048.x",
language = "English",
volume = "37",
pages = "356--362",
journal = "Journal of the World Aquaculture Society",
issn = "0893-8849",
publisher = "Wiley-Blackwell",
number = "4",

}

TY - JOUR

T1 - Improved cryopreservation of sperm of paddlefish (Polyodon spathula)

AU - Horváth, A.

AU - Urbányi, B.

AU - Mims, Steven D.

AU - Bean, William B.

AU - Gomelsky, Boris

AU - Tiersch, Terrence R.

PY - 2006/12

Y1 - 2006/12

N2 - Experiments were performed to improve protocols for sperm cryopreservation of paddlefish (Polyodon spathula), a species for which there has been limited study. The first experiment was conducted to investigate the effects of two extenders (modified Tsvetkova's extender: mT and modified Hanks'balanced salt solution: mHBSS) in combination with methanol (MeOH) and dimethyl sulfoxide in two concentrations (5 and 10%) on the postthaw motility and fertilization rates of cryopreserved sperm. The highest postthaw motility (85 ± 5%) was observed when sperm were frozen using mT extender with 10% MeOH as cryoprotectant. Extenders (P = 0.0018) and cryoprotectants (P = 0.0040) each had a significant effect on the postthaw motility of paddlefish sperm. The highest fertilization (80 ± 3%) was found when eggs were fertilized with sperm frozen with mT extender in combination with 10% MeOH. However, there was no significant difference among fertilization rates when MeOH was used as a cryoprotectant in either concentration or in combination with either mT or mHBSS extenders. In the second experiment, 4000 eggs were fertilized with the pooled contents of five straws of thawed sperm (total volume of 1.25 mL) using mT extender in combination with 5% MeOH, and hatch rates as high as 79 ± 5% were observed. A third experiment was also conducted to clarify the role of MeOH concentration; however, no significant difference was found among fertilization and hatch rates when either 5 or 10% MeOH was used as a cryoprotectant. These results suggest that MeOH is a safe and reliable cryoprotectant for freezing of paddlefish sperm and obtaining viable postthaw sperm for consistent fertilization and hatch rates. Further, this experimental protocol is relatively simple and applicable for commercial hatchery production of paddlefish.

AB - Experiments were performed to improve protocols for sperm cryopreservation of paddlefish (Polyodon spathula), a species for which there has been limited study. The first experiment was conducted to investigate the effects of two extenders (modified Tsvetkova's extender: mT and modified Hanks'balanced salt solution: mHBSS) in combination with methanol (MeOH) and dimethyl sulfoxide in two concentrations (5 and 10%) on the postthaw motility and fertilization rates of cryopreserved sperm. The highest postthaw motility (85 ± 5%) was observed when sperm were frozen using mT extender with 10% MeOH as cryoprotectant. Extenders (P = 0.0018) and cryoprotectants (P = 0.0040) each had a significant effect on the postthaw motility of paddlefish sperm. The highest fertilization (80 ± 3%) was found when eggs were fertilized with sperm frozen with mT extender in combination with 10% MeOH. However, there was no significant difference among fertilization rates when MeOH was used as a cryoprotectant in either concentration or in combination with either mT or mHBSS extenders. In the second experiment, 4000 eggs were fertilized with the pooled contents of five straws of thawed sperm (total volume of 1.25 mL) using mT extender in combination with 5% MeOH, and hatch rates as high as 79 ± 5% were observed. A third experiment was also conducted to clarify the role of MeOH concentration; however, no significant difference was found among fertilization and hatch rates when either 5 or 10% MeOH was used as a cryoprotectant. These results suggest that MeOH is a safe and reliable cryoprotectant for freezing of paddlefish sperm and obtaining viable postthaw sperm for consistent fertilization and hatch rates. Further, this experimental protocol is relatively simple and applicable for commercial hatchery production of paddlefish.

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/record.url?scp=33751313083&partnerID=8YFLogxK

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/citedby.url?scp=33751313083&partnerID=8YFLogxK

U2 - 10.1111/j.1749-7345.2006.00048.x

DO - 10.1111/j.1749-7345.2006.00048.x

M3 - Article

VL - 37

SP - 356

EP - 362

JO - Journal of the World Aquaculture Society

JF - Journal of the World Aquaculture Society

SN - 0893-8849

IS - 4

ER -