In the present study the authors' aim was to present a previously unknown toxicosis of exogen origin, through describing three clinical cases. Three dogs have eaten up large quantities of wall-paper glue containing carboxi-methyl-cellulose (CMC) and glycolic-acid. The animals showed gastrointestinal symptoms shortly after ingestion. A clinical impression characterestic of acute renal failure developed a couple of days later in all three cases, this was also demonstrated by the results of laboratory examinations. In spite of intensive diuretic therapy, the renal failure led to anuria resulting in the animals' death. Autopsy findings consisted of acute haemorrhagic gastroenteritis, cystitis and nephrosis (Figure 1.). Patho-histological findings in the kidneys were vacuolisation and hydropic change, necrosis and calcinosis (Figure 2. and 3.). The glomerules showed no abnormality. The authors' suspicion is (based on literature data) that the symptoms described above were primarily caused by glycolic acid, which was one of the major ingredients (8%) of the wall-paper glue.
|Translated title of the contribution||Acute toxicosis in dogs caused by carboxi-methyl-cellulose (CMC) and glycolic-acid containing wall-paper glue consumption. Case report|
|Number of pages||6|
|Journal||Magyar Allatorvosok Lapja|
|Publication status||Published - Dec 1 1999|
ASJC Scopus subject areas