The biased percolation model is proposed for investigating device degradation and failure associated with the generation of defects due to local Joule heating. The degradation processes of a thin conducting or semiconducting film is monitored by a set of relevant indicators, such as: the evolution of damage pattern, the current distribution, the film resistance and its fluctuations, the defect concentration, the film lifetime, etc. The conductor-insulator (CI) and conductor-superconductor (CS) like degradation processes are considered. The results can be used to propose non-destructive indicators to test the reliability of samples and to interpret the corresponding experiments.
ASJC Scopus subject areas
- Electronic, Optical and Magnetic Materials
- Atomic and Molecular Physics, and Optics
- Safety, Risk, Reliability and Quality
- Condensed Matter Physics
- Surfaces, Coatings and Films
- Electrical and Electronic Engineering